Monday, October 29, 2012

Personal Memoir -- Response to Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes"

"He never brings home the money he earns on farms. That money seems to be different from the dole, which is supposed to be brought home. He takes the farm money to the pub and drinks it." (95)

"She hopes he might think of his family and pass the pub even once, but he never does. She hopes he might bring home something from the farm, potatoes, cabbage, turnips, carrots, but he'll never bring anything because he'd never stoop so low as to ask a farmer for anything." (95)


“Dad says I’ll understand when I grow up. He tells me that all the time now and I want to be big like him so that I can understand everything.  It must be lovely to wake up in the morning and understand everything.  I wish I could be like all the big people in the church, standing and kneeling and praying and understanding everything.” (108)


Frank McCourt's style of writing capture the attention of his readers by his story in a simple everyday format with twist, on a child's perspective. With his unique style, made his story interesting, and captive. Young Frank sees the positive side of things although in the eyes of many would conclude that what he experienced was very tragic. Thus, it maybe heartbreaking story, it still adds a humorous twist of an innocent mind of a speculating child. I believe that McCourt wanted to share his story to many because not everybody, mostly children,  are not completely aware on how to react on such situation therefore, they either deny it -- as adults -- or just play. So I think that's McCourt's message, it just depends on how you look at a situation. For him, it seemed to made him happy that his family was still complete despite of their loss, and the famine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment